Podcasts sur l'histoire

Chales Tyler Stanton

Chales Tyler Stanton


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Chales Tyler Stanton est né à Pompey, dans le comté d'Onondaga, le 11 mars 1811. Il travaillait comme commis de magasin mais s'intéressait vivement à la botanique et à la géologie. Stanton a déménagé à Chicago en 1835 où il a créé sa propre entreprise.

En 1846, il a rejoint le train de wagons Donner Party dans son voyage d'Independence, Missouri, à Sutter's Fort en Californie. Le groupe a suivi l'Oregon Trail jusqu'à ce qu'ils atteignent Fort Bridger le 28 juillet.

Au fort, le groupe rencontra Lansford Hastings. Il était occupé à tenter de persuader les émigrants à destination de l'Oregon d'aller en Californie par le biais de ce qui est devenu connu sous le nom de Hastings Cutoff. Hastings a affirmé que son itinéraire supprimerait 300 milles de la distance jusqu'au fort de Sutter. Sa coupure impliquait de traverser les monts Wasatch, contournant le Grand Lac Salé au sud, puis plein ouest jusqu'à la rivière Humboldt au Nevada, avant de revenir sur le sentier principal depuis Fort Hall.

Hastings a dit aux gens que le désert ne faisait que 40 miles de large et qu'ils trouveraient de l'eau après 24 heures. Il mesurait en fait 82 milles de large et l'eau n'était retrouvée qu'après 48 heures de voyage. Hastings a déclaré à George Donner et James Reed que trois trains de wagons avaient déjà opté pour cette route.

Le groupe Donner avait fait du mauvais temps jusqu'à présent et était déjà loin derrière la plupart des autres trains de wagons voyageant d'Independence à Sutter's Fort. Ils savaient qu'ils devaient traverser la Sierra Nevada avant les chutes de neige qui les mèneraient à Sutter's Fort. Cela se passait généralement début novembre. Bien qu'ils aient été dans les temps pour atteindre les montagnes à la fin de l'été, ils s'inquiétaient d'autres retards qui pourraient signifier qu'ils seraient bloqués par le temps hivernal. Ils ont donc pris la décision de suivre l'avis de Lansford Hastings et de prendre le raccourci proposé.

Le 31 juillet, le Donner Party a quitté Fort Bridger. Ils ne sortirent de l'Echo Canyon que le 6 août. Ce qu'ils s'attendaient à leur prendre quatre jours leur avait en réalité pris sept jours. Ils ont trouvé une lettre de Lansford Hastings leur conseillant de camper sur la rivière Weber et d'envoyer un homme à l'avance pour le trouver afin qu'il puisse leur montrer une nouvelle route vers la Californie. Stanton et James Reed partent à la poursuite d'Hastings. Quand ils l'ont trouvé, il a refusé l'offre de devenir le guide personnel du train de wagons Donner. Au lieu de cela, il a dessiné une carte approximative de la nouvelle route.

Le groupe Donner est entré dans les monts Wasatch le 12 août. Ils découvrirent bientôt qu'ils devaient se frayer un chemin à travers des trembles, des peupliers et des sous-bois enchevêtrés pour tracer une route pour les chariots. Au cours des jours suivants, ils ont dû déloger des rochers et construire des chaussées à travers les marécages afin d'atteindre la vallée du Grand Lac Salé. Les vingt-trois wagons du Donner Party étaient maintenant rejoints par la famille Graves et leurs trois wagons. Comme Virginia Reed l'a enregistré plus tard, le nouveau groupe était composé « de W.F. Graves, de sa femme et de ses huit enfants, de son gendre Jay Fosdick et d'un jeune homme du nom de John Snyder ».

C'était maintenant le 27 août et ils devaient encore traverser le désert de sel. Les membres du groupe réalisaient maintenant qu'ils avaient de sérieux problèmes et n'avaient plus qu'une petite chance de traverser les montagnes de la Sierra Nevada avant que les neiges hivernales ne bloquent leur route. Les wagons les plus rapides avançaient et les wagons lents et lourdement chargés des Reeds et des Donners tombaient de plus en plus en arrière.

La Donner Party a atteint Pilot Peak le 8 septembre. Pour leur permettre de suivre, les Reeds et les Donners ont dû abandonner certains des poids lourds qu'ils transportaient. Ils ont également abandonné trois wagons et augmenté le nombre de bœufs tirant les wagons restants. Les membres du groupe avaient également des doutes quant à savoir s'ils avaient assez de nourriture pour leur survie avant d'atteindre la Californie. Il a donc été décidé d'envoyer deux hommes, Stanton et William McCutcheon en avant au fort de Sutter afin d'acheter des provisions pour le train de chariots.

Le Donner Party a maintenant commencé vers la rivière Humboldt. Le 30 septembre, ils atteignirent le sentier principal de Fort Hall à Sutter's Fort. Cependant, à cette époque, le reste des trains de wagons de 1846 étaient partis depuis longtemps et se trouvaient déjà en Californie. Le Parti Donner avait maintenant des problèmes avec les Paiute. Ils ont volé deux bœufs et deux chevaux. Ils ont également tiré plusieurs flèches sur le wagon et blessé certains des animaux.

Le 5 octobre 1846, un autre désastre frappa le parti Donner. James Reed et John Snyder se sont disputés à propos d'un des wagons. Snyder a perdu son sang-froid et l'a frappé à la tête avec un fouet. Reed a sorti son couteau et l'a planté dans le corps de Snyder. Snyder marmonna : "Oncle Patrick, je suis mort." Sa prédiction était correcte et Lewis Keseberg a immédiatement commencé à mettre en place une langue de wagon comme potence de fortune. William Eddy a utilisé son arme pour insister sur le fait que Reed ne serait pas lynché. Les autres acceptèrent et après de longues discussions, il fut décidé que Reed devrait être banni du wagon. Il a été forcé de se rendre au fort de Sutter à cheval sans armes. Pour beaucoup dans le parti, cela équivalait à condamner Reed à mort.

Peu de temps après, Lewis Keseberg a éjecté l'un de ses employés, Hardkoop, de son wagon. Il n'a jamais été revu et on ne sait pas s'il est mort de faim ou a été tué par des tribus amérindiennes locales. Cela a été suivi par la disparition d'un autre Allemand nommé Wolfinger. Joseph Reinhardt et Augustus Spitzer ont avoué plus tard qu'ils avaient volé et assassiné Wolfinger.

Le Donner Party devait maintenant traverser un désert de 40 milles. Au cours des trois jours suivants, le train de wagons a subi des attaques répétées de groupes de guerriers. Pendant ce temps, ils ont volé 18 bœufs, en ont tué 21 autres et en ont blessé de nombreux autres. Comme la plupart de leurs animaux étaient maintenant morts ou volés, le groupe a été contraint d'abandonner leurs chariots. Le groupe a atteint le lac Truckee à la fin d'octobre.

Le 19 octobre, Stanton revint du fort de Sutter avec sept mules chargées de nourriture. William McCutcheon était tombé malade et avait été contraint de rester au fort. Cependant, Stanton avait ramené avec lui deux guides indiens pour les aider à se rendre en Californie. Stanton a également annoncé que James Reed avait réussi à atteindre la Californie. Le 20 octobre, William Foster a tué son beau-frère dans un accident de tir.

Le Donner Party a maintenant commencé sa tentative de traverser les montagnes de la Sierra Nevada. Quelques averses de neige leur ont fait réaliser qu'ils étaient dans une course désespérée pour gagner du temps. Au loin, ils pouvaient voir que les sommets étaient couverts de neige. Le 25 octobre, un guerrier paiute ouvre le feu sur ce qui reste des animaux. Il a frappé dix-neuf bœufs avant d'être tué par William Eddy.

Les migrants ont continué à labourer, mais lorsqu'ils sont arrivés à moins de trois milles du sommet, ils ont trouvé leur chemin bloqué par des congères de cinq pieds. Ils étaient maintenant obligés de rebrousser chemin et de se mettre à l'abri dans une cabane qu'ils avaient passée au pied de la montagne. Pendant ce temps, James Reed et William McCutcheon étaient partis avec suffisamment de nourriture pour maintenir la Donner Party en vie pour l'hiver. Cependant, ils avaient trouvé leur chemin bloqué et ont dû retourner avec leurs mules de bât au fort de Sutter.

Les membres survivants du train de chariots se sont maintenant mis à construire un camp à côté de ce qui est devenu plus tard connu sous le nom de Donner Lake. Patrick Dolan, Patrick Breen et sa famille ont emménagé dans la cabane abandonnée tandis que Lewis Keseberg a construit un appentis contre l'un des murs. William Eddy et William Foster ont construit une cabane en rondins. Stanton aussi. Sa cabane devait abriter la famille Graves et Margaret Reed et ses enfants. George Donner a réussi à construire un abri primitif pour sa famille.

Le Donner Party manquait désespérément de nourriture. Les autres animaux ont été tués et mangés. Les tentatives pour attraper du poisson dans la rivière ont échoué. Certains des hommes sont allés chasser, mais au cours des deux semaines suivantes, ils n'ont pu tuer qu'un ours, un coyote, un hibou et un écureuil gris. Il était clair que s'ils restaient dans le camp, ils mourraient tous de faim et le 12 novembre, treize hommes et deux femmes firent une nouvelle tentative pour se rendre au fort de Sutter. Cependant, ils ont trouvé leur chemin bloqué par un amoncellement de neige de 10 pieds et sont retournés au camp.

Le groupe s'est reposé pendant quelques jours, puis un groupe dirigé par Stanton et William Eddy a fait une autre tentative pour se mettre en sécurité. Le 21 novembre, ils rentrèrent au camp vaincus. Peu de temps après, Baylis Williams mourut. Cela a motivé les membres les plus forts du groupe à faire une dernière tentative pour traverser les montagnes.

Le 16 décembre, quinze membres du parti quittent le camp et se dirigent vers le sommet. Cela est devenu connu sous le nom de groupe Forlorn Hope. Aidés par une météo plus clémente, ils réussirent cette fois à franchir le col. Le 20 décembre, ils avaient atteint un endroit appelé Yuba Bottoms. Le lendemain matin, Stanton n'était pas assez fort pour quitter le camp. Les autres ont été forcés de le laisser mourir.

Eh bien, ce qui peut vous surprendre, c'est que je vais partir pour la Californie demain. Hastings (livre) Oregon & California l'obtient et le lise. Vous verrez certaines des incitations qui m'ont conduit à cette étape que j'espère franchir en toute sécurité et je pense qu'il y a peu de danger car nous allons dans des foules si grandes que nous serons la loi pour nous-mêmes et une protection les uns pour les autres.

Dans notre campement, nous avions plusieurs familles de l'Oregon, constituant vingt wagons. Une petite perturbation s'étant produite, ils ont décidé de se retirer de notre groupe et de se débrouiller seuls, formant leur propre compagnie, rassemblant une force d'une vingtaine de combattants. Ils avancèrent plusieurs jours en campant à un ou deux milles de nous. Dans leur groupe, il y avait beaucoup de jeunes femmes - dans le nôtre, pour la plupart des jeunes hommes. Des amitiés et des attachements s'étaient formés et étaient difficiles à rompre ; depuis lors, notre compagnie est presque déserte, par les jeunes hommes qui se promènent tous les jours à cheval, faisant semblant de chasser, mais au lieu de poursuivre le cerf bondissant ou l'antilope de la flotte, on les trouve généralement parmi les belles filles de l'Oregon ! Ainsi vont-ils, chaque jour, faire l'amour au bord de la route, au milieu des paysages les plus sauvages et les plus beaux, admirant tantôt les méandres de quelque ruisseau délicieux, ou le cours de quelque noble rivière !

Après avoir voyagé un ou deux jours, nous campâmes sur la Petite Bleue qui regorge de poissons, et mon habileté de pêcheur fut ici mise à l'épreuve ; mais j'ai réussi à attraper l'un des plus beaux que vous ayez jamais vus, que nous avons pris le lendemain matin pour le petit déjeuner... Nous avons voyagé pendant plusieurs jours en remontant ce ruisseau délicieux, et chaque nuit nous avons trouvé un terrain de camping romantique. Le paysage était des plus beaux - l'œil errait sur de belles perspectives de collines et de vallées.

L'un avait hâte d'atteindre la Platte... Nous avions maintenant remonté quatre jours la Bleue, et une journée de marche nous mènerait à ce grand fleuve. La marche de ce jour reprit donc avec empressement. Nous devions traverser une haute plaine surélevée, la crête séparant les eaux du Kansas et de la Platte. Vers onze heures du matin, nous pouvions apercevoir, tandis que nous traversions la plus haute altitude, que la terre descendait graduellement dans les deux sens, et au loin nous pouvions voir les petits monticules ou monticules, qui formaient la crête ou les falaises de la noble rivière... C'était vers quatorze heures, quand, en remontant un haut point de terre, nous vîmes s'étaler devant nous la vallée de la noble Platte. Nous avons tous crié de plaisir et de surprise. La vallée de la Platte ! il n'y en a pas d'autre comme ça. Les falaises sont distantes de dix à quinze milles, la rivière, de plus d'un mille de largeur, coulant à travers le centre. Les falaises tombent soudainement de 50 à 100 pieds, lorsqu'il y a une pente graduelle vers le bord de l'eau. Il n'y a pas un seul morceau de bois à voir de chaque côté de la rivière - c'est une prairie interminable aussi loin que l'œil peut s'étendre ; pourtant il y a du relief trouvé dans les nombreuses îles de la rivière étant généralement couvertes de bois.

Vers 10 heures du matin, le Chimney Rock a été découvert, distant d'une quarantaine de kilomètres. Je l'ai vu. Cela ressemblait à une petite flèche, se détachant en relief audacieux contre le ciel. Deux jours encore, nous atteignîmes ce rocher célèbre, et nous y arrivâmes vers midi. Sa hauteur a été diversement estimée par notre société de devinettes, de deux à huit cents pieds. Je suppose qu'il fait trois cents pieds de haut. Il est rond, en pente douce vers le haut, et arrive à un point à la base de la cheminée, 250 pieds ; puis la cheminée commence à s'élever en un carré oblong de 10 pieds sur 20, 100 pieds de plus. Hier, nous avons passé à mon avis une plus grande curiosité que celle-ci ; certains l'appelaient le palais de justice, d'autres la forteresse et d'autres la tour du château. .... En remontant la rivière jusqu'à Fort Laramie, j'ai remarqué que leurs bosses, ou collines, ou falaises, ou tout autre nom qu'elles peuvent être appelées, ne se trouvent que d'un côté de la rivière à la fois, . ... C'était le cas avant d'atteindre le « palais de justice », mais ici, ils ont soudainement sauté à travers le ruisseau, et le premier bâtiment que nous avons vu était l'immense masse au sommet des falaises, à 200 pieds au-dessus de la rivière. Il se tenait là, solitaire et seul, dans une grandeur solennelle.

Nous avons quitté notre campement au Fort dimanche, et avons remonté la fourche Laramie deux milles et campé... Je vous ai écrit l'autre moitié de ma lettre. Mais je ne l'ai terminé que le lendemain matin et même alors, pas avant le départ de notre compagnie. J'ai attendu plus d'une heure pour le finir... Le dernier des chariots avait depuis longtemps disparu derrière les collines... et moi seul marchais péniblement à pied pour rattraper les chariots. J'atteignis bientôt la route principale, où je la vis bordée d'Indiens à cheval, revenant des chariots qu'ils avaient accompagnés sur une distance considérable pendant leur voyage, dans le but de s'assurer les cadeaux qu'ils pourraient obtenir et d'échanger des chevaux... J'ai fut bientôt entouré d'une dizaine ou d'une douzaine de Souix... Ils sont tous montés et m'ont serré la main, et ont voulu quelque chose que je ne pouvais pas comprendre. Un ou deux ont tiré leurs couteaux sur leur gorge. Cela me parut peu agréable, surtout s'ils s'amusaient ainsi sur moi. Je leur ai finalement présenté quelques morceaux de tabac, qu'ils ont acceptés avec plaisir, et je suis parti apparemment ravi... En arrivant avec les wagons, j'ai constaté que la société de l'Oregon nous avait rejoints. Depuis qu'ils nous ont quittés, trois mariages avaient eu lieu, et un ou deux autres étaient sur le tapis. Nous étions tous heureux de nous revoir après notre longue séparation, et le bon sentiment semblait régner partout. Nous n'avions pas beaucoup voyagé avant de commencer l'ascension des Black Hills et avions une belle vue sur le pic de Laramie - le plus haut de la chaîne.

Hier, nous avons fêté le 4 juillet. Le fait de casser une ou deux bouteilles de bonne liqueur, qui avaient été cachées pour empêcher quelques vieux tapeurs de voler, (ils ont tellement soif sur cette route d'alcool, de toute sorte, que le vol n'est pas considéré comme un crime), un discours ou un discours du colonel Russell, quelques chansons de M. Bryant, et plusieurs autres messieurs, avec de la musique, consistant en un violon, une flûte, un tambour de chien - le chien dont la peau a été prise a été tué, et le tambour fait la nuit précédente - avec la décharge de tous les canons du camp, à la fin du discours, du chant et du toast, a créé l'une des excitations les plus agréables que nous ayons eues sur la route.

Le matin du 6 juillet, après nos deux jours de repos, nous nous sommes mis en route et avons parcouru vingt milles jusqu'à Deer Creek. Le pic de Laramie était visible presque toute la journée, vers le sud-est. Vers midi, nous arrivâmes à la fourche nord de la Platte, après en avoir été absents plus d'une semaine. Là où nous avons heurté la rivière, il y a un beau lit de charbon de pierre ; mais la grande Platte, sur laquelle nous avions voyagé si longtemps et si loin, comme elle s'était réduite, ou plutôt remonté, à un petit ruisseau. L'eau était claire, mais je ne l'aimais pas aussi bien que lorsqu'elle était mélangée avec du sable et de la terre glaise lorsque nous avons heurté la rivière pour la première fois.

Nous remontâmes toute la journée le lendemain la Platte et campâmes près d'un petit bosquet sur les bords de la rivière. Mercredi, nous avons traversé la Platte vers midi et parcouru six milles. Le buffle et d'autres gibiers sont de plus en plus nombreux. Chaque jour, un ou plusieurs sont tués, et nous nous régalons à nouveau de viande fraîche. Je pense qu'il n'y a pas de bœuf au monde égal à une belle vache buffle - une telle saveur, si riche, si juteuse, ça donne l'eau à la bouche d'y penser.

Le jeudi matin, nous avons laissé la Platte et la longue chaîne de collines noires sur notre gauche, et nous nous sommes dirigés vers l'Eau Douce. À midi, le colonel Boon est arrivé plein d'excitation, déclarant qu'il était sorti avec d'autres et avait tué huit buffles, parmi lesquels plusieurs vaches et veaux gras, et a demandé à tous ceux qui voulaient de la viande de buffle d'obtenir ce qu'ils voulaient. L'après-midi, nous avons parcouru quelques kilomètres et campé près d'une belle source.

Toute la région du pays, de Fort Laramie à cet endroit, est presque entièrement stérile. Il n'y a d'herbe que dans les vallées qui, en quelques endroits seulement, sont luxuriantes. On semble ne pas savoir comment expliquer comment le buffle peut vivre sur les collines qu'il surplombe. Dans toute la région, la sauge sauvage ou armoise pousse en abondance. ... Le sage n'est pas comme le sage du jardin. Il a plus l'odeur de la lavande... La première semaine après avoir quitté le Fort, nous avons ressenti, bien qu'en plein été, les brises fraîches de la montagne, nécessaires la nuit pour nous emmitoufler dans nos manteaux, et souvent toute la journée. La semaine dernière, cependant, il en a été autrement. Il a été insupportablement chaud de jour comme de nuit - thermomètre allant de 95 à 100 degrés.

Hier à midi, nous sommes arrivés au "point culminant", ou crête de séparation entre l'Atlantique et le Pacifique. Ce soir, nous campons sur le Little Sandy, une des fourches de la Green River, qui est un affluent du grand Colorado, qui se jette dans le golfe de Californie. Ainsi s'accomplissent les grandes rêveries de ma jeunesse et de mes années mûres. J'ai vu les montagnes Rocheuses - j'ai traversé le Rubicon, je suis maintenant sur les eaux qui se jettent dans le Pacifique ! Il me semble que j'ai laissé le vieux monde derrière moi et qu'un nouveau se lève sur moi. Jusqu'à présent, à chaque étape, il y a eu quelque chose de nouveau, quelque chose à attirer. Si le reste de mon voyage est aussi intéressant, je serai abondamment récompensé pour les labeurs et les difficultés de ce voyage ardu.

Je n'aurai peut-être pas une autre occasion de vous envoyer des lettres avant d'avoir atteint la Californie. Nous prenons une nouvelle route vers la Californie, jamais voyagée avant cette saison ; par conséquent, notre itinéraire est sur une nouvelle région intéressante. Nous sommes maintenant dans la vallée de la rivière Bear, au milieu des montagnes de la rivière Bear, dont les sommets sont couverts de neige. Au moment où j'écris maintenant, nous sommes acclamés par un chaud soleil d'été, tandis qu'à quelques kilomètres à peine, les montagnes couvertes de neige scintillent dans ses rayons.

En quittant Fort Bridger, nous avons malheureusement pris la nouvelle route, continuant sans incident notable, jusqu'à ce que nous arrivions à la tête du canyon Webber. Une courte distance avant d'atteindre cet endroit, nous avons trouvé une lettre collée au sommet d'un buisson de sauge. C'était de Hastings. Il a déclaré que si nous envoyions un messager après lui, il reviendrait et nous piloterait à travers une route beaucoup plus courte et meilleure que le canyon. Une réunion de la compagnie a eu lieu, quand il a été résolu d'envoyer MM. McCutchen, Stanton et moi-même à M. Hastings ; aussi nous devions en même temps examiner le canyon et faire un rapport à bref délai.

Le lendemain matin, montée au sommet de la montagne où nous pouvions dominer une partie du pays qui s'étendait entre nous et la tête du canyon, où campaient les Donner. Après qu'il m'ait donné la direction, M. Hastings et moi nous sommes séparés. Il retourna aux compagnies qu'il avait quittées la veille, je continuai vers l'est. Après être descendu jusqu'à ce qu'on peut appeler le plateau, j'ai pris une piste indienne et j'ai tracé la route où il était nécessaire que la route soit faite, si la compagnie l'ordonnait lorsqu'elle entendit le rapport. Lorsque McCutchen, Stanton et moi-même avons traversé le canyon Webber pour rattraper M. Hastings, nos conclusions étaient que de nombreux wagons seraient détruits en tentant de traverser le canyon. M. Stanton et McCutchen devaient retourner dans notre compagnie aussi vite que leurs chevaux le supporteraient, ils avaient failli lâcher. J'arrivai à la compagnie dans la soirée et leur rapportai les conclusions concernant le canyon de Weber, déclarant en même temps que la route que j'avais tracée ce jour-là était bonne, mais qu'elle demanderait un travail considérable pour le défrichage et le creusement. Ils ont convenu d'une voix unanime de prendre cette route si je les dirigeais dans la construction de la route, ils ont travaillé fidèlement jusqu'à ce qu'elle soit terminée.

Le 19 octobre, en voyageant le long du Truckee, nos cœurs se réjouirent du retour de Stanton, avec sept mules chargées de provisions. McCutchen était malade et ne pouvait pas voyager, mais le capitaine Sutter avait envoyé deux de ses vaqueros indiens, Luis et Salvador avec Stanton. Affamés comme nous l'étions, Stanton nous a apporté quelque chose de mieux que de la nourriture - la nouvelle que mon père était vivant. Stanton l'avait rencontré non loin du fort de Sutter ; il avait été trois jours sans nourriture, et son cheval ne pouvait pas le porter. Stanton lui avait donné un cheval et des provisions et il avait continué. Nous avons maintenant emballé le peu qui nous restait sur une mule et avons commencé avec Stanton. Ma mère est montée sur une mule, portant Tommy sur ses genoux ; Patty et Jim chevauchaient derrière les deux Indiens, et moi derrière M. Stanton, et de cette façon nous continuâmes notre route sous la pluie.

William Eddy, C.T. Stanton, William Graves, Jay Fosdick, James Smith, Charles Burger, William Foster, Antoine (un Espagnol), John Baptiste, Lewis, Salvadore, Augustus Spitzer, Mary Graves, Sarah Fosdick et Milton Elliot, étant les plus forts du parti, commencé à traverser les montagnes à pied. Eddy, en racontant l'affligeante histoire, m'a dit qu'il ne pourrait jamais oublier la scène de séparation entre lui et sa famille ; mais il espérait entrer et obtenir des secours, et revenir avec les moyens de leur sauvetage. Ils ont commencé avec un petit morceau de bœuf chacun ; mais à peine s'étaient-ils éloignés de trois milles du sommet du col, que la neige, qui était molle et d'environ dix pieds de profondeur, les força de nouveau à retourner aux cabanes, qu'ils atteignirent vers minuit.

Le lendemain, très faible par manque de nourriture, il reprit sa chasse et tomba enfin sur une énorme piste d'ours macabre. En d'autres circonstances, il aurait préféré voir les traces d'un animal plutôt que de voir l'animal lui-même. Mais maintenant, faible et évanoui qu'il était, il avait hâte de l'inventer... Il ne tarda pas à trouver l'objet de sa recherche. A une distance d'environ quatre-vingt-dix mètres, il a vu l'ours, la tête au sol, occupé à creuser des racines. La bête était dans une petite lisière de prairie, et M. Eddy, profitant d'un grand sapin près duquel il se trouvait en ce moment, se tint caché. Après avoir mis dans sa bouche la seule balle qui n'était pas dans son fusil, afin qu'il puisse recharger rapidement en cas d'urgence, il a délibérément tiré. L'ours s'est immédiatement dressé sur ses pattes de derrière, et voyant la fumée du fusil de M. Eddy, a couru férocement vers lui, les mâchoires ouvertes. Au moment où le fusil a été rechargé, l'ours a atteint l'arbre et, avec un grognement féroce, a poursuivi M. Eddy autour de lui, qui, courant plus vite que l'animal, est venu avec lui à l'arrière et l'a désactivé par un coup de feu. à l'épaule, de sorte qu'il n'était plus en mesure de le poursuivre. Il a ensuite envoyé l'ours en le frappant sur la tête avec un gourdin. Après examen, il a constaté que le premier coup de feu avait transpercé son cœur. Il est ensuite retourné à Mountain Camp pour obtenir de l'aide pour rapporter son prix. Graves et Eddy sont sortis après l'ours. Cependant, ils ont finalement réussi à monter dans l'ours après la tombée de la nuit. Eddy a donné la moitié à M. Foster pour l'utilisation de l'arme. Une partie en fut également remise à M. Graves et à Mme Reed. L'ours pesait environ 800 livres.

Pas découragés, et poussés par la raréfaction des vivres aux cabanes, le 20 (novembre 1846) ils essayèrent à nouveau, et réussirent à franchir la ligne de partage ; mais a constaté qu'il leur était impossible de procéder faute d'un pilote, M. Stanton ayant refusé de permettre aux Indiens de les accompagner en raison de ne pas pouvoir apporter les mules avec eux, que M. Stanton avait pris là avec provisions de chez JA Sutter, avant la chute de la neige. Ici encore, leurs espérances les plus chaleureuses étaient anéanties ; et ils se tournèrent de nouveau le cœur lourd vers leurs misérables cabanes. Mme Murphy, sa fille et ses deux fils étaient de ce parti.

Le vingt (décembre), le soleil se leva, clair et beau, et, égayés par ses rayons étincelants, ils poursuivirent leur chemin fatigué. Dès le premier jour, M. Stanton, semble-t-il, n'a pas pu les suivre, mais avait toujours atteint leur camp au moment où ils ont allumé leur feu et fait les préparatifs pour passer la nuit. Ce jour-là, ils avaient parcouru huit milles et campé de bonne heure ; et tandis que les ombres du soir se réunissaient autour d'eux, plus d'un regard anxieux fut jeté à travers l'obscurité grandissante vers Stanton ; mais il n'est pas venu.

Avant le matin, le temps est devenu orageux, et à l'aube, ils sont partis et ont parcouru environ quatre milles, quand ils ont campé, et ont convenu d'attendre et de voir si Stanton monterait ; mais cette nuit-là, sa place était de nouveau vacante par leur feu triste, alors qu'il, je suppose, s'était échappé de toute autre souffrance et gisait enveloppé dans son linceul de neige.

Le lendemain, le vent est passé au sud-ouest et la neige est tombée toute la journée. Ils campèrent au coucher du soleil, et vers la tombée de la nuit, M. Stanton arriva. Ils reprirent leur voyage le 22. Stanton arriva au camp en une heure environ, comme d'habitude. Cette nuit-là, ils consommaient le reste de leur petit stock de provisions. Ils s'étaient limités à une once à chaque repas, depuis qu'ils avaient quitté le camp de montagne, et maintenant le dernier était parti. Ils avaient une arme à feu, mais ils n'avaient pas vu d'être vivant.

Au cours de cette journée (23 décembre) M. Eddy examina un petit sac dans le but d'y jeter quelque chose, en vue de s'entendre plus facilement. Ce faisant, il trouva environ une demi-livre de viande d'ours, à laquelle était attaché un papier sur lequel sa femme avait écrit au crayon, une note signée « Votre propre chère Eleanor » dans laquelle elle lui demandait de la conserver pour la dernière extrémité , et a exprimé l'opinion que ce serait le moyen de lui sauver la vie. Le matin de ce jour, M. Stanton resta près du feu de camp, fumant sa pipe. Il leur a demandé de continuer, disant qu'il les rattraperait. La neige était d'environ quinze pieds de profondeur. Stanton ne les a pas inventés.

Ils reprirent leur mélancolique voyage, et après avoir parcouru environ un mille, ils campèrent pour attendre leur compagnon. Ils n'avaient rien à manger pendant la journée. Stanton n'est pas venu. La neige est tombée toute la nuit et a augmenté d'un pied de profondeur. Ils ont maintenant donné le pauvre Stanton pour mort.


Charles E. Stanton

Charles Egbert Stanton (22 novembre 1858 - 8 mai 1933) était un officier de l'armée américaine et atteignit le grade de colonel. Un vétéran de la guerre hispano-américaine, et a servi en tant que chef des décaissements et assistant du général John J. Pershing pendant la Première Guerre mondiale. Stanton était le neveu du secrétaire à la Guerre d'Abraham Lincoln, Edwin M. Stanton. [1] Il est surtout connu pour avoir inclus l'expression mémorable "Lafayette, nous sommes ici!" dans un discours qu'il a prononcé à Paris pendant la Première Guerre mondiale.


Des images haute résolution sont disponibles pour les écoles et les bibliothèques via un abonnement à American History, 1493-1943. Vérifiez si votre école ou votre bibliothèque a déjà un abonnement. Ou cliquez ici pour plus d'informations. Vous pouvez également commander un pdf de l'image chez nous ici.

Gilder Lehrman Collection # : GLC02382.018 Auteur/Créateur : Stanton, Robert A. (né en 1839) Lieu de rédaction : s.l. Type : Lettre signée Date : 17 mai 1864 Pagination : 1 p. 24,7 x 20,2 cm.

Rapport d'artillerie pendant la campagne Spotsylvania. Avec les notes de Hunt au verso. Écrit à partir de la réserve d'artillerie de l'Ordnance Office. Charles H. Whittelsey (1832-1871) est diplômé de Yale en 1853. Il a servi pendant la guerre civile en tant que lieutenant dans la 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery en 1862, puis dans l'état-major du général Robert O. Tyler et du général Horatio G. Wright. Il a reçu une promotion au grade de major breveté pour ses services dans la campagne de 1864 devant Richmond et la campagne de 1864 Shenandoah Valley brevet lieutenant-colonel pour bravoure dans les batailles de Petersburg et colonel pour bravoure dans la campagne Appomatox. Il a été nommé brigadier général breveté pour son service galant pendant la guerre de Sécession.

Charles H. Whittelsey (1832-1871) est diplômé de Yale en 1853. Il a d'abord servi pendant la guerre civile en tant que lieutenant dans la 1ère artillerie lourde du Connecticut en 1862, puis il a servi plus tard dans l'état-major du général Robert O. Tyler et du général Horatio G. Wright. Il a reçu une promotion au grade de major breveté pour ses services dans la campagne de 1864 devant Richmond et la campagne de 1864 Shenandoah Valley brevet lieutenant-colonel pour bravoure dans les batailles de Petersburg et colonel pour bravoure dans la campagne Appomatox. Il a été nommé brigadier général breveté pour son service galant pendant la guerre de Sécession.


Collection Charles P. Stanton

La Collection Charles P. Stanton contient les résultats de cinquante ans de recherches généalogiques. La majeure partie de la collection, la série V, comprend plus de 2 000 arbres généalogiques, de la correspondance et des documents connexes concernant plus de 300 familles juives des régions de Nuremberg, Fuerth, Bamberg, Ansbach et Dinkelsbuehl. Certaines familles avaient également des succursales à Ichenhausen et Laupheim en Souabe. De nombreux dossiers de cette série contiennent un « Arbre généalogique principal » compilé par Stanton. Il envoyait souvent des copies de ces arbres généalogiques principaux aux chercheurs intéressés. Ils représentent la version finale de ses recherches sur une famille particulière. Les dossiers, qui n'ont pas d'arbre généalogique principal, contiennent généralement des versions plus petites d'arbres généalogiques, soit compilés par les familles elles-mêmes, soit par Stanton. Presque tous les dossiers contiennent également du matériel de recherche et de la correspondance, qui contiennent des informations généalogiques supplémentaires. Les notes et les brouillons des arbres généalogiques principaux se trouvent dans la série IV. Cette collection comprend également des notes sur plusieurs villes de Franconie, situées dans la série III.

Des notes de recherche plus générales et des documents tels que des cartes, des index anciens, des adresses, des nécrologies et des billets de banque bien conservés de Theresienstadt, peuvent être trouvés dans la série II.

La collection ne contient que quelques objets personnels liés à Charles P. Stanton. La série I comprend des documents sur son service militaire, ses activités en tant que membre de l'église Grace et de l'association des anciens de l'université Cornell. Les utilisateurs peuvent également trouver dans cette série de la correspondance générale datant principalement des années 1990.

Rendez-vous

Créateur

Langue des matériaux

Restrictions d'accès

Restrictions d'utilisation

Il peut y avoir certaines restrictions sur l'utilisation de la collection. Pour plus d'informations, contactez:

Institut Leo Baeck, Centre d'histoire juive, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011

Note biographique

Charles Perry Stanton's parents, Fritz and Hella Steinlein (née Kaufmann) were en route from Nuremberg to the United States when Charles was born in Zurich in December 1935. His older brother Peter was born in Nuremberg in August 1930. The family settled in Great Neck, NY and converted to Christianity. Charles Stanton was baptized and brought up as an Episcopalian. On November 9, 1938 the family changed the last name from Steinlein to Stanton.

Charles Stanton studied law at Cornell University and graduated in 1957. Following his graduation, he served as Lieutenant in the US Army until 1965. He then worked for J.P. Morgan for over twenty-five years. Later, he joined the financial services office of the Pratt family, which founded the Pratt Institute. He was also active in the local Episcopal church, and served as treasurer, clerk and member of the choir.

In 1969, Charles Stanton married Julia (Judy) Duke Henning. They had two daughters: Julie and Charlotte

Since the age of fourteen, Charles Stanton had been involved with genealogy and researched the Jewish families of Franconia, where his family had lived for many generations before the Holocaust. In the 1990s, he worked extensively with Gisela Blume from Zirndorf , Germany and Dan Barlev from Jerusalem.


Historic Site Sign

Antelope Station prospered with the mining industry, which by 1871 was flourishing along Weaver Gulch on the east and Antelope Creek on the west. During that year Charles C. Genung started construction of a road through town to accommodate the stage lines. Yaqui Wilson opened a store in partnership with John Timmerman, and a man named William Partridge started a hotel and station in prepa ration for the arrival of overland passengers. Barney Martin and his wife owned a neat red-brick store in the center of town. Thus Chuck Stanton had three competitors and he had a consuming determination to dispatch them all and be come the town's absolute ruler.

He hadn't long to wait for his chance to act, as prosperity soon brought the least desirable element to town with the advent of the notorious Venezuela gang, as bloodthirsty crew as ever roamed the Southwest. Stanton immediately be came an intimate of the Venezuelas and in mere weeks was their recognized leader. So began the bloody extermination of his competitors, one by one, and a rapid rise to power by methods as devious and ruthless as the man himself.

The road was completed by Genung in 1872, and Ante lope Station became a regular stop for two stage lines: the Pierson and the Jim Grant. Passengers from both lines in variably went to the Wilson-Timmerman store for rest and refreshments, a fact that infuriated Partridge and at the same time afforded Stanton a method of disposing of two hated rivals with one stone. His chance had arrived sooner than he'd expected.

In addition to running his store and stage stop, Wilson raised pigs and prickly pears at his home. One day when he was on a trip to Prescott , the pigs got out and caused considerable damage at Partridge's. Before Wilson 's return Stanton instructed his Mexican ruffians to pass the word along to Partridge that Wilson was out to get him. Receipt of this message, together with the existent ill feeling concerning the stage passengers, stirred Partridge to a white-hot fury, and immediately upon Wilson 's return, Partridge sent word for him to come and get his pigs forthwith. Wilson started to retrieve his pigs, carrying a sack of prickly pears with which to entice them home. A stage driver who witnessed the entire affair testified at the resulting trial that Wilson was unarmed when he started from his home. As he approached Partridge's place Partridge shot him dead without warning, then ran away and hid in the hills above town. The next day he proceeded to Prescott , where he gave himself up and was subsequently sentenced to the Territorial Prison at Yuma .


HistoryLink.org

During August and September 1841, the United States Exploring Expedition, commanded by Lieutenant Charles Wilkes (1798-1877), carries out a hydrographic survey of the Columbia River from its mouth to the Cascades. The expedition's appearance at Fort Vancouver alarms the British Hudson's Bay Company officials.

British and American Interests

Hydrographic investigations of the Columbia River course were not new when the United States Exploring Expedition began its survey of the river in 1841. Lieutenant William Broughton (1762-1821) of HMS Chatham had crossed the Columbia River bar in 1792 and used his ship's boats to survey upriver for about 120 miles to support British claims of territorial possession. In 1839, Royal Navy captain Edward Belcher (1799-1897) took HMS Starling et HMS Sulphur upriver to Fort Vancouver.

The United States Exploring Expedition began charting the Columbia River in September 1841. Lieutenant Wilkes had made a preliminary visit to the Columbia in May of that year. He traveled overland from Nisqually and then by canoe down the Cowlitz River to the Columbia. From there, he descended to Fort George at the mouth of the river. Along the way, the view of Mount St. Helens inspired him to name the stretch of the Columbia near its confluence with the Cowlitz as St. Helen's Reach.

Charles Wilkes

Wilkes had received command of the Exploring Expedition only after several more senior officers refused it. He was junior for the responsibility but stood out among naval officers for his training in mathematics and triangulation. When first a candidate to go along on the expedition in 1828, he had been a lieutenant for only two years. In the following years he served as Superintendent of the Depot of Charts and Instruments at Washington, D.C. When the venture actually got underway in 1838, he moved into the commanding officer's slot despite having considerably less sea-going experience than some of his subordinates.

In July 1841, Wilkes sailed in his flagship Vincennes from Puget Sound to the mouth of the Columbia. He sent Vincennes on to California, taking command of USS Porpoise, another expedition vessel more suited to river exploration. Les Oregon, a 250-ton merchant brig Wilkes purchased at Fort George, accompanied Porpoise on her upriver journey. Porpoise was a 224-ton, 10-gun brigantine (a two-masted ship rigged with square sails and a fore-and-aft mainsail) 88 feet in length, a 25-foot beam, and a depth in hold of 11 feet. The Boston Navy Yard built her in 1836.

On the Columbia

The ships served as home bases. Crews dispatched in the ships' boats did most of the hydrographic work. Fear of malaria dictated the working schedule. "Falling damps," or night dew was the suspected source of the disease. (We now know that malaria is caused by a parasite carried by infected mosquitoes.) Survey boats did not leave the ships before 9 a.m. Before departing, surveyors put on clean and dry clothing, breakfasted, and took time to smoke. Wilkes required that the boats return at least an hour before sunset. Then the ships spread awnings fore and aft as shelters from nighttime moisture.

Wilkes led the way as the expedition moved upriver. His gig was constantly ahead of the other boats. When sailors left a campfire unattended at the foot of Mount Coffin, near the mouth of the Cowlitz, it set fire to trees where Indians had placed their dead in canoes. He attempted to placate the Chinooks with presents, explaining that the conflagration was an accident. Later Wilkes said that there probably would have been trouble, were the Indians not so weakened by malaria and smallpox.

Smoke on the River

Porpoise et Oregon followed the boats upriver, occasionally running aground. On one occasion, they became stuck on opposite sides of the river. Assistant Surgeon Silas Holmes, an acerbic wit, commented that the ships "formed excellent buoys, pointing out the dangers on either side" (Stanton).

The surveyors also suffered from smoke generated by fires burning along the river. The Indians set them to clear ground and drive game. On at least one day, smoke lay so thickly over the river that the surveyors could not work. Wilkes, a stern disciplinarian, reprimanded Lieutenant William M. Walker (1813-1866) for taking three bottles of brandy as a reward for his boat's crew, who "sweated and choked in the smoke that lay low on the river" (Stanton).

The Hudson's Bay Company

At the end of August, Porpoise et Oregon reached Fort Vancouver, about 100 miles from the sea. Wilkes sent Lieutenant Walker with four boats to continue charting as far as the falls at the Cascades, about 160 to 165 miles from the river mouth. Lieutenant Oliver Hazard Perry took four more boats to survey the Willamette up to its falls. The hydrographers concluded that sea-going vessels should go no farther than Fort Vancouver, where the Columbia was at least 14 feet deep at all seasons.

Coincidentally, the American explorers reached Fort Vancouver when Sir George Simpson (1792-1860), North American Governor for the Hudson's Bay Company, was visiting. Wilkes dined with Simpson and Dr. John McLoughlin (1784-1857), the official in charge of Fort Vancouver. While at Fort Vancouver, Wilkes made a side trip to the Willamette Valley. He told American settlers there that the time had not yet come to try to establish a civil government under the American flag. At this time, there were about 40 Americans in the Willamette Valley. None were known to be living north of the Columbia River.

Wilkes told Simpson that he intended to recommend that the United States claim the Oregon Territory as far north as 54°40'N (approximately today's southern boundary of Alaska). Sir George later wrote to the British Foreign Office saying that the land south of the Columbia was not worth contesting. But Britain, he recommended, should not "consent to any boundary which would give the United States any portion of the Territory north of the Columbia River" (Walker).

Hudson's Bay officers at Fort Vancouver offered every assistance and warm hospitality to the U.S. Navy party. Nevertheless, the appearance of two U.S. warships off the fort and Wilkes's revelation probably influenced the decision Hudson's Bay Company officials would later make to remove accumulated stores at Fort Vancouver to a new post at Victoria, which they established in 1843.

On the downriver trip, Wilkes became ill but continued to work. Then a 16-mile side trip up the Cowlitz nearly ended his life. On the way back to the Columbia, his gig hit a snag. The impact knocked down two of the boat's crew while low-hanging branches ensnared and nearly strangled the expedition's commander.

Porpoise
et Oregon reached the mouth of the Columbia on September 30. There they joined the Flying Fish. After taking on supplies, the expedition's ships left the Columbia River to sail south on October 9, 1841.

Paul Allen Virtual Education Foundation

Charles Wilkes (1798-1877)

Fort Vancouver, 1841

Sketch by Joseph Drayton, Courtesy Fuller, A History of the Pacific Northwest

Woodcut made on U.S. Exploring Expedition of Indian baskets, 1841

Woodcut by J. H. Manning, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA4000)

Woodcut made on the U.S. Exploring Expedition of Columbia River Indian fishing huts, The Dalles, 1841

Woodcut by J. Drayon, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA3996)

Sources:

Howard I. Chapelle, The History of the American Sailing Navy: The Ships and Their Development (London: Salamander Books Ltd., 1949) Barry M. Gough, The Royal Navy and the Northwest Coast of North America 1810-1914: A Study of British Maritime Ascendancy (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 1971) William Stanton, The Great United States Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1975) David B. Tyler, The Wilkes Expedition: The First United States Exploring Expedition (1838-1842) (Philadelphia: The American Philosophical Society, 1968) Dale L. Walker, Pacific Destiny: The Three Century Journey to the Oregon Country (New York: Tom Doherty Associates, 2000) Charles Wilkes, Narrative of the United States Exploring Expedition During the Years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, and 1842 Vols. I-V, Microfiche 20926-20929 (Chicago: Library of American Civilization, [1845] 1970).


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Springboro Area Yesterday:

“Springboro has never had the advantages to be derived from a railroad connection with the outside world,” bemoaned Jessie Wright in his 1915, centennial address for the village. “Let us hope that Springboro may yet get on the map…the railroad map.”

Were Jesse Wright to return to his hometown today he may be surprised to find the flourishing community which exists in spite of an absence of the hoped-for railroad. The tiny village founded on the banks of Clear Creek in 1815, by his grandfather, Jonathan, now sprawls into two counties, Warren and Montgomery, in beautiful southwest Ohio. The Springboro Area Historical Society preserves Jessie’s words and spirit in its dedication to the unique heritage of its ancestors. The historical society came together in 1992, to save the 1798, Christian and Charles Null cabin located on what is now Heatherwoode Golf Course and its work continues with preservation and education efforts throughout the community.

A commemorative history, edited by Rebecca Hall, was published for the sesquicentennial in 1965, and in the 2003, Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History , a wonderful survey of the people and landscapes of the area, was produced by the City of Springboro Historic Commission in cooperation with historical society and edited by Rebecca Hall.

The museum offers a selection of local history and genealogy reference materials, maps of the city, township and county, and an large collection of artifacts and pictures.

Residents share the Society’s pride in their community since 1915, they have come together every Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day to parade through the historic streets of the old town.

Springboro’s founder, Jonathan Wright, followed his father, Joel, to the Miami Valley in 1814. The Wrights and perhaps a dozen other Quaker families came from their home in Pennsylvania, journeying along the Ohio River up the Little Miami River to Waynesville and nearby Springboro where they found clear, abundant water.

Jonathan Wright settled on the banks of Clear Creek, west of the earlier settlement, and in 1815, platted “Springborough.”

By 1840, 417 residents called Springboro home, with names such as Null, Stanton, Frey (Frye), Greggs, Crocketts and Mullins, joining the Wrights on the town roster.

Methodist Episcopal, Universalist, German Reformed and Presbyterian churches followed in short order.

The county has never been at a loss for religious sentiment with over 60 churches established by 1850, and many of the faithful soon moved on to found schools. Francis Glass is noted as the first school teacher, beginning in 1816, and by the mid 1800s, ten schools were scattered throughout the township serving 750 students. The Springboro Special School District opened in 1837, with lessons in English, mathematics, science and Latin.

Aron Wright served as president for nine years before returning to New York state unfortunately, the college did not long outlast him and its doors closed in 1883.

For more informal pursuits, residents turned to the Springboro Library Association, founded in 1832, at the corner of Market and Main Streets, where librarian and town physician Dr. Joseph Stanton presided. The Grange, Masons, Knights of Pythias, United American Mechanics and the Oddfellows offered philanthropic and social outlets for the gentlemen. Book Regular lectures and numerous book clubs informed and entertained local residents. Jessie Wright reports with some relish possessing the journals of a “mock Legislature” which met from 1841-45, for a “profitable form of amusement during the long winter evenings,” including drama and debates.

Springboro’s Quaker roots remained strong. From its founding, when Jonathan Wright parceled lots to new settlers, a deed restriction prohibited the sale of whiskey on the land for a period of ten years. However, thirsty travelers were not without respite Wright’s property ended at North and Franklin Streets and ingenuity led to all the taverns being located north of that line in “Carr’s Addition.” Jessie’s centennial address also notes “no less than fifteen distilleries” in a two mile radius of the village in its early days. The Women’s Christian Temperance Union, a force to be reckoned with throughout the county, succeeded in keeping liquor sales out of Springboro for over forty years in the late 1800s.

In 1999, Springboro erected the first municipal Underground Railroad Historic Marker and the city of Springboro participates in regular celebrations of its special place in a turbulent period of our national history.

Springboro’s population grew steadily at the turn of the twentieth century. Farmers from many of the nearly three hundred local farms moved to town in their later years looking for an easier life. By 1880, Beers’ History of Warren County listed Springboro census at 553. The next 100 years saw the town balloon to 12,380 (2000 census). The Springboro Community City School District has grown from an estimated 200 students in 1880 meeting in a single building at East and Market Streets to 5,500 students in nine buildings spread throughout the community. A new city hall and police department was inaugurated in 2009, at 320 West Central to afford local government sufficient space to meet the demands of the growing community. A Strategic Master Plan was developed in the late 1990s and another ten years later in an effort to better oversee city expansion as local officials struggle to make that dream a reality with an updated Land Use Master Plan in early 2009.

For a town the railroad left behind, Springboro has done well indeed, and the people of Springboro remain committed to recording its history – and its progress – for years to come.

“A Time to Look Back.” Bicentennial Supplement to The Western Star. 30 June 1976. (MFH)

(The) History of Warren County . Chicago, Illinois: W.H. Beers & Co., 1882.

Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History . Rebecca Easton Hall, ed.

Springboro Community City School District website .

In 2000, the City of Springboro completed their study and creation of Springboro’s Historic Design Standards (pdf). Though oriented towards preservation of our historic buildings through design standards, a good deal of the history of Springboro and the history of architecture, design and construction is included in the one hundred twenty-eight page report.

The house to left is on the northwest corner of S. Main St and Market St. and was built around 1858, by James P. Griffin, a druggist. The outlines of the house can still be seen behind the commercial facade. Later, William H. Newport, a dry goods merchant, lived there, and it was then occupied from 1892-1910, by Joseph M. Bunnell, a grocer, per Rob Strawser’s Yesterday, Historic Properties in Springboro , Historic Homes, Property Sales and Transaction in Olde Springboro and Surrounding Lands .)


The Enslaved Households of President John Tyler

Born to an affluent family in 1790, John Tyler spent most of his life in Charles City County, Virginia. He was raised on the Tyler family plantation, Greenway, and primarily lived there until his marriage to Letitia Christian in 1813. 1 His father, John Tyler Sr., served as a representative in the Virginia House of Delegates, governor of Virginia, and eventually judge of the United States District Court for the District of Virginia. Judge Tyler was also a prominent slave owner—by 1810, there were twenty-six enslaved individuals living at Greenway plantation. 2 These enslaved men, women, and children were the people maintaining the property, farming the land, and providing the means for the growing Tyler family.

Like his father, John attended the College of William and Mary, graduating in 1807. He then prepared for a career in law, studying with his father and Edmund Randolph, former United States Attorney General. After Judge Tyler died in 1813, he left Greenway and thirteen enslaved individuals to his son John. 3 That same year, John purchased a tract of land in Charles City County and built his own plantation, Woodburn, shortly thereafter. 4 According to the 1820 census, there were twenty-four enslaved people living at Woodburn with the Tylers. 5 Ten years later, the Tyler household had grown exponentially from three to seven children, ranging in age from fifteen-year-old Mary to newborn Tazewell. The enslaved community had grown as well—twenty-nine individuals, more than half of which were under the age of ten, were counted at the Tyler property. These enslaved children helped their mothers and fathers with their various tasks, but some likely became young caretakers for the Tyler children. 6

During the 1820s and 1830s, Tyler held a series of prominent political positions at both the state and national level. While he considered himself a Democrat, he sometimes opposed President Andrew Jackson’s policies—specifically whenever the president opted to use executive power at the expense of the states. After he finished serving in the United States Senate, Tyler returned to practicing law and later ran for a seat in the Virginia House of Delegates. In 1839, the Whig Party nominated William Henry Harrison for president. Tyler, a Virginian slave owner and lifelong Democrat, was strategically added to the ticket to entice southerners to vote for Harrison. This tactic, along with the campaign’s efforts to villainize President Martin Van Buren for the country’s economic woes while casting Harrison as a military hero and commoner, delivered a decisive electoral victory for the Whig Party. “Tippecanoe and Tyler Too” became the oft-repeated slogan of their supporters, but this relationship changed dramatically after the unexpected death of President Harrison on April 4, 1841. Click here to learn more about the enslaved households of President Martin Van Buren.

This 1888 engraving depicts a messenger delivering the news of President William Henry Harrison's death to Vice President John Tyler at his Williamsburg home on April 5, 1841.

Fletcher Webster, the son of Secretary of State Daniel Webster, delivered the shocking news to Vice President John Tyler at his home in Williamsburg, Virginia. Tyler set out for Washington, D.C., and quickly asserted himself as the new President of the United States. He took a new oath of office with the members of Harrison’s Cabinet present, and three days later issued an inaugural address to the American people:

For the first time in our history the person elected to the Vice-Presidency of the United States, by the happening of a contingency provided for in the Constitution, has had devolved upon him the Presidential office…My earnest prayer shall be constantly addressed to the all-wise and all-powerful Being who made me, and by whose dispensation I am called to the high office of President of this Confederacy, understandingly to carry out the principles of that Constitution which I have sworn "to protect, preserve, and defend." 7

About a week after Harrison’s funeral, President Tyler and his family moved into the Executive Mansion. There is little surviving documentation that tells us about the household staff, but there are bits and pieces of evidence suggesting that there were both free and enslaved African Americans working at the Tyler White House. 8 Abolitionist William Still’s The Underground Rail Road detailed the lives and experiences of African Americans who made the journey from slavery to freedom. Still shared the biography of James Hambleton Christian, who was born into slavery on the plantation of Robert Christian and claimed he was the half-brother of First Lady Letitia Christian Tyler. 9 James worked for both the Christian and Tyler families, and at the Tyler White House.

The Colored American, November 20, 1841

NewsBank/ American Antiquarian Society

There was also a man named James Wilkins, who worked as a butler for the first family. While there is scant documentation about him, newspaper accounts suggest that he was a free man who worked for wages and managed the staff. An African-American newspaper in New York City, The Colored American, published an article about him on November 20, 1841, and it was picked up by multiple presses throughout the country. According to this column, Wilkins had his own office, oversaw the expenses of the house, and employed both his son and daughter to work at the President’s House. The article concluded: “President Tyler has in all 18 colored persons hired—he has but two of his slaves with him, as servants. This is the first time that any of our Presidents have made a colored man the chief butler of his household. His ‘illustrious predecessors’ have had white men. Surely we are getting up slowly.” 10 While there were certainly other possible motivations for printing this news, Wilkins does appear again during an 1842 debate in the House of Representatives. He is referred to as “Jim Wilkins, the President’s butler,” which suggests that Wilkins did have a role—and a higher one—than expected for the times. 11

There is another documented enslaved individual—President Tyler’s valet—though there is some confusion over his actual name. Contemporary accounts refer to him as either “Armistead” or “Henry” another possibility may be that his name was actually Henry Armistead. Regardless, he appears in the news as one of the six victims of the tragic explosion aboard the USS Princeton on February 28, 1844. New Jersey Congressman George Sykes, who was on board the Princeton, described him as “the president’s servant…a stout black man about 23 or 24 years old and lived about an hour after” the accident. While Sykes doesn’t give a name, he did mention that “the blackman’s” coffin was made of cherry, and “the president’s servant was buried by the coloured persons—and his relations—the next day.” 12 The Daily Madisonian noted that there were six hearses, one of which “conveyed the body of one of the President’s colored servants, to the President’s mansion.” 13 While newspaper coverage fails to shed more light on this particular individual, they do consistently state that one of the president’s servants—likely his enslaved valet—was killed on the Princeton. Writing from the White House that fall, Julia Gardiner Tyler mentioned an enslaved woman named "Aunt Fanny" in a letter to her mother Fanny was likely brought to Washington by President Tyler. These four identified individuals, a mix of free and enslaved African Americans, worked in the Tyler White House. 14

The Daily National Intelligencer, February 28, 1844

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Newspaper accounts from the time also suggest that there were other enslaved individuals working at the White House. Two days before the Princeton explosion, an investigation began into an alleged robbery that took place at the President’s House. Selon le Daily National Intelligencer, “a colored woman named Mary Murphy” was “charged with stealing silver table and teaspoons, the property of the United States.” The magistrates held a man named “Avery” on the charge of receiving stolen property, and the report also mentioned that “a colored servant belonging to the President is also implicated in this theft.” 15

According to the 1844 D.C. Criminal Court records, George Avery and Susan Goodyear were first charged with larceny in March however, the charges were reduced to receiving stolen goods in June. John Tyler, Jr., was present at their court appearances, likely as a witness on behalf of his father. According to one newspaper, “Susan Goodyear, indicted for receiving three silver spoons belonging to the President’s House, knowing them to have been stolen, was acquitted…George Avery, also indicted for the same offence, was acquitted. Mr. Hoban, counsel for the accused, submitted a number of testimonials from gentlemen in Baltimore and Alexandria, showing for the accused an excellent character.” In a great twist of irony, the public defender for Avery was James Hoban, Jr., the son of the architect who built and rebuilt the President’s House. 16

The criminal court records indicate that this theft occurred—but what of Mary Murphy and the implicated enslaved servant? Her absence from the court proceedings means she was never charged with a crime—and if she was a free woman, the city attorney certainly would have prosecuted her for stealing from the President’s House. However, if Mary Murphy was enslaved and hired out to work at the Tyler White House, her owner may have decided to sell her before she faced charges and lost her value. Many slave owners sold those that resisted enslavement, or in their minds “misbehaved” or were “troublesome” as a result, enslaved individuals lived with the constant fear that at any moment they could be sold and sent to the Deep South.

This court docket shows that George Avery and Susan Goodyear, charged with "Receiving Stolen Goods," were found 'Not Guilty' by a jury of peers on February 7, 1845.

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Mary’s owner may have been a man named Jeremiah Murphy, who ran a confectionary store on Pennsylvania Avenue between 9th and 10th streets. According to the 1840 census, Murphy owned one enslaved woman—and this woman’s experience working at this type of establishment may have made her a valuable employee in a kitchen or dining room, places where a servant would have direct access to tableware. 17 While this theory is speculative, it might explain Mary Murphy’s disappearance from the criminal court records and newspaper coverage. If the newspaper account is true and President Tyler’s enslaved servant aided Mary’s alleged theft, he or she might have faced a similar punishment, but there is no surviving documentation of this individual.

President Tyler appears seldom in these records, but when he does, it is usually an instance of nolle prosequi, a Latin phrase meaning “we shall no longer prosecute.” The President of the United States served as an executive to the country and within the District itself. Lawyers could appeal on behalf of their defendants by going directly to the president, who possessed the authority to direct the city attorney to drop criminal charges. President Tyler used this power several times in 1844—first, for John Green and Thomas Ratcliff, charged with larceny on March 6. The other instances were for two enslaved men, Samuel Gassaway and Charles Coates, charged with housebreaking and stealing. According to one newspaper account, Gassaway and Coates stole “three pairs of boots and a box of cigars” from the Georgetown store of James and Henry Thecker. They were found guilty and subject to punishment by death, but their case was “recommended to the clemency of the Executive.” 18 On June 20, 1844, President Tyler directed the city attorney to drop the charges against these enslaved men—but not much else is known about them. The president used this legal authority sparingly, which suggests that he knew of them or, upon hearing appeals from their owners, politely acquiesced to their requests. 19 Research is ongoing to learn more about Samuel Gassaway, Charles Coates, and whether they had any prior relationship to President Tyler or the Tyler family.

This court docket shows that "Neg. Saml Gassaway" was charged with "House breaking & Stealing" in October 1843. Further down, the entry states: "Nolle Prosequi by direction of the President of the U.S. and by order of the District Attorney. Filed June 20, 1844."

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Despite his appeal for a “lofty patriotism” over the “spirit of faction,” President Tyler quickly found himself at odds with Cabinet members and leaders in the Whig Party. His veto of legislation that would revive the Second Bank of the United States sparked a visceral reaction from both politicians and citizens alike. An angry mob descended upon the White House in the middle of the night, banging on drums and kettles while shouting obscenities at the president. They burned an effigy of Tyler, chanting “‘down with Tyler,’ ‘hurrah for Clay,’ [and] ‘give us a bank.’” 20 The Whig Party cast Tyler out, and most of his Cabinet resigned over this episode. Things became even more contentious when on July 22, 1842, Virginia Representative John Minor Botts presented a petition “requesting ‘John Tyler, the acting President of the United States,’ to resign his office and in case he do not comply with such request, they pray that he may be impeached, ‘on the grounds of his ignorance of the interest and true policy of this Government, and want of qualification for the discharge of the important duties of President of the United States.” 21 While this measure ultimately proved unsuccessful, this became the first instance of Congress attempting to impeach a president in American history.

The Daily National Intelligencer, October 26, 1843

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Considering the political turmoil that engulfed his presidency, it was hardly surprising when neither party selected Tyler to be its presidential nominee in 1848. He quietly left office and returned to Sherwood Forest, his plantation estate in Charles City County, Virginia. 22 By 1850, there were forty-six enslaved individuals working at the Tyler property ten years later, that number decreased slightly to forty-four. 23 This increase also coincided with the second expansion of the Tyler family, as the president had married twenty-four-year-old Julia Gardiner in 1844. The couple went on to have seven children, and they enjoyed hosting guests for dinner and dancing at Sherwood Forest. Near the outbreak of the Civil War, Tyler served as a representative at the Peace Conference of 1861 but ultimately rejected the proposed resolutions. He would go on to serve as an elected representative for the Confederacy, but he did not live to see the end of the war.

On January 18, 1862, he died in Richmond, Virginia at age 71. While he had requested a simple burial, political leaders of the Confederacy organized a state funeral for the former president. His remains laid in state in the Hall of Congress in Richmond, covered “with the flag of his country.” 24 Memorial services were held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, followed by a procession to Hollywood Cemetery. 25 His death also marked a new era of uncertainty for the enslaved men, women, and children held in bondage by the Tyler family. Union soldiers descended upon Sherwood Forest in 1864, and their presence gave the enslaved community an opportunity to escape. The troops also inflicted damage on the property, stole items from the house, and confiscated or destroyed Tyler’s papers. 26 As a result, we know very little about those enslaved by the Tyler family—but hope to learn more as our research continues.

Thank you to Dr. Christopher Leahy, Professor of History at Keuka College, and Sharon Williams Leahy of History Preserve, for sharing their insights and research for this article.


Four Centuries

Algonquian-speaking Native Americans migrated here from the north at least 800 years before the first Europeans arrived, taking up land that had been occupied by other tribes as early as 10,000 years before. In 1613 Europeans planted a settlement at West and Shirley Hundred on the north side of the James River. Settlers planted six more settlements in quick succession along the same shore. The native inhabitants were scattered, but in diminished numbers they clung to the land.

From the early seeds of European settlement, great tobacco plantations grew and with them the need for labor. During the late 1600s and early 1700s, the labor of enslaved Africans quickly replaced that of English indentured servants. During the 1800s the Civil War brought emancipation to these slaves and other changes in the way residents earned their livelihood. Logging, fishing and small-scale farming became the primary way of life for Charles City residents well into the 1900s.

Today, only a small number of county residents continue to draw their livelihood from the forests, the water and the land. Yet, Charles City residents remain tied to this land, a timeless setting and the birthplace of ancestors.


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Stanton's post office was established March 5, 1875 and was discontinued June 15, 1905. At the base of Rich Hill, Stanton had in its heyday a five stamp mill, boardinghouse, store, and at least a dozen houses. Named after Charles P. Stanton, the camp is rumored to have started as early as 1963. Stanton was killed in his own store by two Mexican bandits who were revenging Stanton's insult to one Cristo Lucero's sister. Stanton was a ruthless person who plotted to kill people for his own benefit and had the blood of many people on his conscious. He never committed the acts himself, but hired others to do them. Several buildings are still at the site today.

Originally named Antelope Station, name changed in 1875 to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as postma-ster, because there was another Antelope Station. - GT

Stanton (Antelope Station). To reach Stanton you shall pass Congress and drive in the north direction on SR 89. When you pass Congress keep eyes with the Frog Rock on the left side on the road. Road to Stanton is on the right hand, 2 miles after Congress. From SR 89 to Stanton is a 6 miles god dirt road. Stanton, originally named An-telope Station was a small town beside Antelope Creek. Charles P. Stanton arrived to Antelope Station in 1870 after he quit the job as in Vulture mine. The town had a stagecoach station, owned by one Englishman with the name William Par-tridge and country store wish was owned by G. H. "Yaqui" Wilson. Wilson had a pigs, and they were often on Partridge's ground and eat the things witch were stored for the travellers. Charles P. Stanton made a devils plans how to make use of arguments between Partridge and Wilson and how he can eliminate both of them, because he was thinking they will leave both business to him. So, one day when he meet Partridge, he told him that pigs owner are after him. That was a big lie, but Partridge believed him, and he shoot Wilson as soon he saw him. Partridge were arrested, questioned, convicted and sent to jail in Yuma. In Yuma he complained that the Wilsons ghost was after him all the time. But, the things were not as planet for Stanton. Wilson had a secret partner by the name Tim-merman who overtook the store, and the jailed Partridge had creditors who sold his stagecoach station to Barney Martin. Stanton, who was mad about all this, rented a group of desperado s leaded by a local gunman by the name Francisco Vega to take away both of them. Shortly after that, Vega killed first Timmer-man. In 1875 the town changed name to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as a postma-ster. Post office opened on mart 5, 1875. Beside Stanton, only man who had a power was Bar-ney Mar-tin. In July 1886 the remains of Martin and his family were found north of the town, killed from the ambush. On that way Charles Stan-ton become the brutally that control he was dreaming about, but not for a long time. In November that year the law was satisfied when a young member of Vega gang, Christero Lucero, shot Stanton because he bothered Luceros sister. When he was to escape from the town, he meets one of Stanton s enemies by the name Tom Pierson. When Lucero told him what he was done, story says that Pierson told him. "You don t need to escape. If you stay, it s you who shall have a reward". Nobody fall tears for Stanton and in following 4 years the town of Stanton become as dead as Stanton self even the town still has his name. Post office closed in 1890 when the miners closed but opened again in 1894. In the town lived about 200 people. Post office closed definitive on June 15, 1905 and Stanton become ghost town. Reason why the town is in good condition is because the town was closed for the public in many years. Only 3 buildings (private owners) from the original town stand today and they are good preserved and awake memories about "Old West". Stanton is turn on to be a RV park, and the area is owned by Lost Dutchman Mining Association who preserves buildings. Bobby Zlatevski

Stanton does allow the public into the gates to visit the Ghost Town. I know because I have been spending the winter there since 2002. Visitors just have to park at the flagpole and check in at the office. Lost Dutchman Mining Association is a gold prospecting organization and does not go about restoring buildings, but they have restored some of the old Stanton buildings so they can use them. Most of the buildings are used by club members. (2008)


Stanton
Courtesy Joe Grumbo


Charles Stanton and his store
Courtesy Sharlot Hall Museum, Prescott


Stanton


Stanton


Voir la vidéo: Chris Stapleton - Death Row Official Audio (Mai 2022).